Sunday, July 9, 2017

What Are YOU Reading?


I saw recently some statistics about how few American actually read a book - either paper or electronic. It really made me sad to see. No wonder so many people are uninformed about so many things. And they don't even read fiction books, any books!

I find it hard to believe because most of my friends read all the time, fiction and/or non-fiction. I don't read as much as I used to, but I still read at least ten or twelve books a year. How about you? What are you reading?

Presently I'm reading Is It Just Me or Is It Nuts Out There? by Whoopie Goldberg. Her writing sounds just like the way she speaks. It is great. I can hear her as I read. Anyway, it would make a good outline for a life skills class for young adults, or for anyone, actually. I'm about a third of the way through and I'm agreeing with her about everything she's saying!

The book was written in 2010 but is as true today. It IS nuts out there, maybe more than it was when she wrote it. Her book makes such sense and her advice is right-on. She gives her ideas of how to live with the nuttiness and how to not contribute to it. She talks about all the things that drive her nuts. And they are pretty much the same things that drive most of us nuts.

She gives lists she calls "A civil persons handy list:" She addresses all kinds of things but here is just one.

How Not to Slow Down a TSA Screening

  • Don't wear a ton of metal jewelry. Who are you trying to impress on the plane?
  • Know what you can't bring through. Go to www.tsa.gov
  • Be clean. These people have to deal with you in close quarters.
  • Arrive early so you are not hassled going in.
  • Don't shove or cut in line.
  • If someone cuts the line on you, let it go.
  • Hassle no one. Even if you are right.
  • Pack so you don't have to dig for your computer.
  • Have your ID ready. And the boarding pass. This is not new stuff.
  • No jokes. No kidding.
  • Take off your earphones. Be present.
  • Get off the cell phone.
  • Try and smile at the TSA folks.
  • And say thank you.
None of these things are hard to do. And doing them will help everyone stay calm and steady. TSA workers deal with all kinds of difficult people. So be nice to them and don't be one of those difficult people. Things will go more smoothly and everyone will be in a better mood.

She goes on to talk about behavior on the plane and all of it makes perfect sense. After all, you are going to be packed into a small space with a lot of other people, most of whom you don't know. And there is nowhere to go to get away from them. So keeping things relaxed and pleasant benefits everyone.

And most of the book really is about just getting along, being civil to everyone. She doesn't pull any punches, though. If you are in a situation that is harmful or terribly unpleasant she lets you know how to resolve it. And she tells you that you must deal with it if you want it to change.

I like Whoopie. Always have. And this book makes me like her even more.

I'd like to know what you are reading and who you might recommend it to. We need to encourage folks to read more. How else will be learn how to be a positive influence in the world, in our lives, in our relationships. 

READ! Then tell me what you've read and if you think I might like to read it!




No comments:

Post a Comment