Wednesday, December 12, 2018

What Motivates Your Acts of Kindness?


When you are walking down the street and see someone like the man above, what do you feel? What do you do? There are many feelings that may be involved if you take the moment to experience them. Most of us glance away because we don't want to have feelings that would motivate us to get involved. What might we learn about ourselves if we examined our feelings? What action might we take?

Many folks do acts of kindness out of altruism, because it is what they believe is the right thing to do. But true kindness requires empathy and compassion. There is a YouTube video that explains so much more clearly than I can. Have a look, it's only four minutes:

                                         

We need to nurture empathy and compassion in ourselves and our family, then spread it to everyone we can. That is what can change the world for the better.


2 comments:

  1. that's a GREAT video! I learned quite a lot in four minutes! I think I run the gamut of those when I "give" either financially or physically. Sometimes though, I ignore. There are SO MANY panhandlers here. BUT many of them are NOT homeless, and basically do it for a living. I also don't carry cash very often. I have been known to give cigarettes, coffee, socks, that sort of thing. If they aren't appreciative I pretty much know they are in it for profit.

    On the other hand, I give of "myself" way too much sometimes. That's probably empathy more than anything else. I've had a lot of challenges so it's tough for me to see someone going through something I have had to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I also have the gambit of motivations. I am trying to increase my empathic compassionate giving, though.

    ReplyDelete