Sunday, October 20, 2019

Down In the Dumps?


When we feel down, sad, depressed, we tend to see everything through a negative lens. Maybe you are so down you can't think of anything positive, anything you like.

I've suffered from depression many times through the years. And one thing that has helped is to have a list of things I like. But you need to make the list before you get too deeply down. Keep the list handy. And when you are down, use the list to get you feeling more positive.

And you can go over the list occasionally to add to it and to remind your brain what it is like when you think positively.

Your list probably won't be like mine - or anyone else's, for that matter. But here is today's list for me:


  • Holding a baby
  • The smell of summer rain
  • The smell of freshly mowed grass
  • Violets growing and blooming in my yard
  • Belly laughs
  • A child's laughter
  • Watching the river flowing
  • Walking a beach
  • The sound and smell of the ocean
  • How my house smells when it has just been cleaned
  • The touch of silk and of fleece or flannel
  • The sweet taste of tree/vine ripened fruit
  • The warm comfort of a loved-one's hug
  • The softness of a baby's face
  • A cold drink on a hot day
  • The feel of satisfaction when I finish a challenging task
  • Blowing soap bubbles in freezing air
  • Giving gifts to someone I care about
  • Seeing smiles of people on the street
  • Listening to the 1812 Overture
  • Finding a piece of a jigsaw puzzle that has alluded me
  • Chocolate
  • Soaking in a hot tub
  • Waking up from a restful sleep
I won't list all the foods I like, 'cause I like a lot of them. But if you have difficulty deciding what to eat when you are down, maybe you need to make a list of foods you like so you can choose from that list. 

For me, food can sometimes be my downfall when I'm depressed. I tend to want carbs, especially ice cream and chocolate anything. I don't recommend that for more than a day. It would just make you feel worse in the long run.

So work on your list, so you will have it the next time you are feeling down in the dumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment