Sunday, March 31, 2019

Did You Miss It?



I didn't publish a post last Wednesday, March 27. I was wondering if anyone missed it.

I was dealing with some painful medical issues and just didn't have the energy to write anything at all. And I was wondering, how many things that we see or hear regularly would we miss if it just wasn't there?

Is there someone you'd miss if they didn't phone or stop by? If you pet dog or cat didn't greet you when you got home, would you miss it? If you didn't get any mail for several days, would you miss it?

There are trains that go by about a mile from us. I can hear them at night when there is more quiet. But most of the time I don't even listen for them. Would I miss it if they never go by again?

We had tornado sirens go off Wednesday morning. It was a beautiful sunny day without much wind. It felt really strange to prepare for a tornado.  I just didn't know that all the tornato alarms were being tested that morning..We usually hear it go off every Wednesday at noon. That day it didn't because it had already been tested in the morning.

Lots of people didn't even notice it. I guess the siren only gets us to look out at the weather to see if it could really be a tornado. However, where we live, most people ignore the warning because we seldom have tornados touch down near us. Probably not a good idea to ignore it, though.

And as I thought more of missing things, I thought about some of the things that aren't around any more. I am old, remember, so lots of things have changed. I miss having young people who want to do things like cut grass or shovel snow to earn a little extra money. I miss the milk and bread being delivered every week. I miss friends who just drop in to visit for no special reason. I miss laundry that smells like sunshine. I miss feeling safe enough to leave the doors unlocked, to just latch the screen door at night to get more air. 

Then, of course, there are so many things I miss simply because I can no longer do them. I am no longer physically able to do lots of things I used to enjoy. I can't go for long walks or hikes. I can't run or play games like badminton. We go for rides sometimes and I see kids playing hopscotch and hide and seek. I'd love to be able to do that now. I even used to enjoy mowing the lawn. Can't do that either. 

I'm finding this subject to be depressing, so I'll take a look at things I can do. I can think, write, daydream, have conversations. I can appreciate beauty. I can paint. I can provide feedback to people who want it. I can love. I can organize projects to help the homeless or other needy folk. I can laugh. I can enjoy music. I can read, to myself and to my great-granddaughter. I can share my blessings with others.

So, now I'm wondering what you miss and what you can do. Or if you even ever think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment