Sunday, March 17, 2019

Where Does It Hurt?



There are different kinds of pain - emotional pain and physical pain. I've had plenty of the first in my seventy-seven years. Maybe we will look at emotional pain another day. But recently I've been dealing with the physical kind.

I fell two weeks ago and ended up pretty laid up with pain for more than a week. I broke the large joint in my big toe and pulled a muscle in my glutes. It was very painful and I spent most of my time in a recliner, sometimes reading, sometimes watching videos, sometimes dozing. Only in the last three days have I been able to walk unaided and wearing a "boot" on one foot.

I have a pretty high tolerance to pain, usually. So it has been a surprise for me to have this much pain for this long. And being the most independent of types, I hate not being able  to do for myself.

Now, I know we have each had some kind of pain in our lives, probably both emotinal and physical. And how we react to that is different for each of us. Personally, I usually try to hide my pain, both kinds. That isn't the healthiest way to deal with it.

Pain is a symptom that something isn't right. We need to identify the cause and try to fix it. Hiding it from others only makes it harder for us to do that.

Are you the type that holds it all inside? Or do you tend to make such a fuss that others have trouble tolerating you? Hopefully you are somewhere in between so that you get the help you need to make things right.

Want to know more about physical pain? Check out this MedLine Plus site: https://medlineplus.gov/pain.html

And I hope all your pains are little ones!


No comments:

Post a Comment