Sunday, May 5, 2019

Are You Serious?!?



Are you Serious?!? People say that when you tell them something the find hard to believe is true. But I'm asking about your demeanor. I am serious too much of the time while I'm recouperating from this injury. It is hard to keep a sense of humor when I'm in so much pain.

But even when I'm not in pain I tend to be a serious person. Oh, I usually have a sense of humor. I can laugh if something is funny. On occasion I can even be silly. But I an inhibited by my concerns about what others might think. My sense of humor is more likely to be present around people I trust - my spouse, my offspring.

When I was working I was in an environment that was very serious. I worked in male prisons. In one job I worked in a psychiatric unit in a prison. So you can see that having a sense of humor might make one vulnerable. Not a condition I wanted to be in. Just being a female authority in a male prison was vulnerable enough.

What about you? How's your sense of humor? Does it help you? How?

"Humour or humor is the tendency of experiences to provoke laughter and provide amusement. The term derives from the humoral medicine of the ancient Greeks, which taught that the balance of fluids in the human body, known as humours, controlled human health and emotion.

People of all ages and cultures respond to humour. Most people are able to experience humour—be amused, smile or laugh at something funny—and thus are considered to have a sense of humour. The hypothetical person lacking a sense of humour would likely find the behaviour inducing it to be inexplicable, strange, or even irrational. Though ultimately decided by personal taste, the extent to which a person finds something humorous depends on a host of variables, including geographical location, culture, maturity, level of education, intelligence and context." [YouTube]

What makes things funny? Check out this TedTalk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysSgG5V-R3U

Check out what is funny today. Check out when you were funny today.



1 comment:

  1. If anything, I tend to be not serious enough! More like dad in that way. Sometimes--heck most of the time--I wish I was more like you.

    ReplyDelete