So, how do we disrupt the old way of the world of separation? The best way to disrupt it at its foundation is giving people the experience of non-separation. This means each time we act with true "generosity, forgiveness, attention, truth or unconditional acceptance" (1) we offer the experience of connection and compassion.
This violates the old beliefs that "Everyone is out for themselves." It affirm the desire to give, create, love and play. It makes it o.k. for others to break through those old beliefs. While these acts can't make someone give up their old beliefs, it does invite others to at least consider that those beliefs may not be totally true. The most we can do isopen the door to a different perspective on the world.
We live in a time of self-rejection. How often do we hear someone declare that they, or someone they know, are their own worst critic. Your unconditional acceptance of others shows them a new possibility. This is a transformative power that we all have. This is an important way we can change the world. Don't underestimate the power of compassionate acts.
A way to multiply this power is to stand by those who "do the right thing." Just be silent witness to justice and compassion on the part of others. It is easier to act justly if you have the support of others. This is aother way we disrupt separation.
Consider, also, how the perspective of connectivity spreads compassion. Because we are all connected, everything we do influences everyone and everything else. So your generosity, your non-judgemental acceptance of others has a ripple effect. The "pay it forward" effect is evidence of this. Someone pays for the coffee of the car behind them in the drive-thru and others then do the same.
You smile at a stranger and she smiles back. She's then more likely to smile at someone else, who then also smiles. You forgive someone for some hurt and your healing advances - as does theirs. When one part of the web is mended, the entire web is stronger.
Yes, there will be times when someone is so stuck in the old ways of separation that they will reject your acts of compassion. While that is sad, it need not effect you. Don't let it influence you to fall back into old ways yourself.
And, of course, it begins with having love and compassion for yourself. For you cannot give away what you don't have. Nurture your inner being as you live in the more beautiful world.
Today's Daily Dozen To-do List:
- Make a list of ten things you like about yourself.
- Give something to someone - a smile, a hug, a kind word, a poem, a card, etc.
- Spend time with someone being creative - paint, do needlework, sing, dance, problem-solve.
- Tell someone you love them, but only if you mean it., Feel the love in your heart.
- Be silly with someone! Laugh. Play like children. Play with children.
- Tell a family member something you like/appreciate about them.
- Tell a friend something you like/appreciate about them.
- Tell an acquaintance something you like/appreciate about them.
- Make a list of things in your life that are evidence of abundance.
- Spend time with someone who is giving and accepting of others. Practice being like them.
- Think of someone who may have hurt you. Focus on forgiving them in order to heal your wound. Be love.
- Think of something you feel bad about having done to someone else. Focus on forgiving yourself with unconditional acceptance. Be love.