Sunday, February 4, 2018

BGTL Month: Why?


Maybe you are wondering what the heck BGTL Month is. Well, it is the month of February dedicated to Be Good To Lucinda. It is a month when I determine to do something every day that is self-caring, that makes me feel good.

Why? Because I have a hard time taking care of myself emotionally. I forget to take care of myself when there are so many others who need care so many things to do. I get into being a "human doing" rather than a "human being."

Yes, I do get benefit from doing for others. It feels good. But it can sometimes be a distraction from really taking care of me. So I dedicate the shortest month of the year to BGTL. It is a cold month and the cold makes my body hurt more. More pain adds to the depression.  February is usually the worst month for my Seasonal Affect Disorder because we don't get a lot of sun then. And I struggle with depression.

When I'm depressed I catch myself doing negative self-talk, which, of course, makes the depression worse! So I use this month to keep reminding myself that I am worth taking care of. I make it a point to reach out to people more for social support. I treat myself to simple pleasures and spend time making plans for future vacations. We go to movies and buy ice cream. I go window shopping at a mall to get exercise when the weather doesn't encourage me to walk outside. I read more. I work on craft or sewing projects - being creative builds my self-esteem.

And I seek out motivation and guidance from experts. I found this video today and like it a lot. I hope it encourages you to take care of your emotional health. Maybe you can set aside a day or week or month to Be Good To --- you! Let me know if you do!


No comments:

Post a Comment